How To Have A Safer Home
Every one of our clients would tell us they want their homes to be safe. In addition, they expect their home insurance to respond when there is damage, theft or loss. Home security has become a huge industry offering many home security benefits. You can contact a home security professional or even use do-it-yourself products. Many of these will help protect your home from theft. Let’s look at a few home security options.
Outside lights are a very good deterrent, and using motion detectors for your lights will keep your home well lit, even when you are not home. We also recommend placing your outside lights on automatic timers. Make sure they are installed so as to not be easily destroyed.
Alarms are another ways to protect your property. While there are some products you can install yourself, you might consider the option of a professional service. Often the security system can be linked to your phones and other smart devices.
Cameras can be installed to create additional home safety. There are many good off the shelf products at most major electronics stores. Available software even allows you to point your laptop camera in a particular direction (say, at the front door) and check the images from a remote location.
Home Safety Tips:
· Keep shrubs trimmed around all windows and doors.
· Don’t leave a key outside.
· Make a list of your belongings (be sure to keep receipts, especially for expensive items like stereos and computers), and update this list periodically.
· Keep all windows and doors locked when not at home.
· Don’t leave ladders lying around your yard.
· Lock sheds and other structures.
· Work together with your neighbors. Organize a Neighborhood Watch and let your neighbors know when you will be away for an extended period.
· Install deadbolt locks on all exterior doors.
· Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
· Be sure you have the right coverage. You may need to purchase additional coverage to protect special items like expensive jewelry or rare antiques.
· According to a study released by the University of North Carolina, burglars really do consider deterrents such as alarms, cameras, dogs, etc. when looking at targets. So a small investment in home security can make a big difference!
Ludwig & Fawcett Insurance!
We provide our customers with financial protection through quality insurance products. We partner with multiple financially sound and reliable companies, allowing our knowledgeable and experienced staff to customize an insurance package to fit your needs.
While we enjoy meeting our clients in person, we can also initiate coverage over the phone, by fax, or by email.