Keep Your Home Safe While on Vacation
Mountain View Home Safety
As you head out this summer for that Griswold family vacation, take a few moments to protect your home so it will be there upon your return. While homeowner’s insurance covers many types of losses, the following facts and safety tips might just help prevent a loss from happening.
Home Burglary facts (Source FBI, Harris Interactive Polls)
· 23% of burglars get in through the back door.
· Homes with security systems have a 30% less chance of being targets.
· A majority of convicted burglars say they avoid homes with alarm systems.
· 20% of homeowners say they leave their doors unlocked.
· Burglars will use social media to select targets.
· The average cost to replace stolen items is $4,200.
· Almost 50% of homeowners do not have a home inventory.
· A home is broken into once every 15 seconds.
Home Insurance Vacation Safety Tips
1. Stop the paper and garbage.
2. Keep valuables in a locked safe.
3. Lock up all guns.
4. Tell neighbors about your trip. Have them watch for deliveries.
5. Don’t take all your credits cards on vacation, only take the ones you may need.
6. Use automatic lights to give the appearance of someone being at home.
7. Pay all your bills so that key utilities don’t get turned off.
8. Inform your credit card companies where you plan on traveling. This information will alert them to any fraud.
9. Mow the lawn before you go to make it look like you are at home.
10. Give you itinerary to a family member.
11. Don’t post vacation pictures on social media sites until your return home.
12. Have us complete a free home insurance review before you go.
We are family-owned and -operated and have been in business for over 50 years. Our office is conveniently located on El Camino Real just north of Grant Road in Mountain View. While many of our clients are in Mountain View, Los Altos, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, San Francisco, and San Jose, we serve all of Northern and Southern California!