Trick Or Treat… Are You Covered
A Homeowners Insurance Update
In the next few days, we will be watching children scramble from house to house in search of the elusive Halloween treat. However, keeping our kids safe as they are active on Halloween night is always a concern. A little pre-planning can prevent unfortunate accidents that could turn out to be tragic. Remember, your homeowner’s insurance will cover you in most cases should someone trip and fall on your premises.
Here are some pointers for ensuring your house is a safe place for trick-or-treaters on Oct. 31.
- Consider providing healthy treats for trick-or-treaters such as low-calorie treats and drinks. For your guests, offer a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Be sure walking areas and stairs are well-lit and free of obstacles that could cause someone to fall.
- Keep candle-lit jack o'lanterns and luminaries away from doorsteps, walkways, landings, and curtains. Place them on sturdy tables, keep them out of the reach of pets and small children, and never leave them unattended.
- Remind drivers to watch out for trick-or-treaters and to drive safely.
Safety Tips for Kids
- Never, ever, go into a house.
- Costumes should be short enough to prevent children from tripping and falling.
- An adult or an older responsible child should always accompany young children. Even older children should go trick-or-treating with an adult, or in a group. Never go out alone.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on.
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective.
- Do not eat homemade food.
- Examine all candy. If it has been opened, toss it out.
- Use a flashlight.
Safety Tips for Motorists
- Watch for children walking on roadways, medians, and curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully.
- Turn your lights on.
- At twilight and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing.
Insurance specialists at Ludwig & Fawcett, Inc. serve to help you coordinate an insurance program that determines the best coverage options for your needs – for benefits and quality discounts that help you save.
What does this mean for you? By combining home and auto policies, you may be eligible to receive money-saving discounts, a guaranteed full-year policy term for your car, On Your Side® insurance protection, 24-hour Customer and Claim service, and more.